It seemed to get going reasonably quickly from then. We put everyone on alert. Bill and Joy came and picked up Elliot about 9-9.30ish. I felt bit sad for him to miss out but it would have been too much for him.
By about 10.00am the contractions were fairly consistent and we decided we would head to the hospital. I was driving as carefully as I could but I could see Zoe was uncomfortable .
Liz, our midwife, was there when we arrived. The birth centre is a very new facility with only two rooms. There was no one there but Liz and us. I had forgotten to let Debbie know we had left for the hospital in the rush so quickly rang her! Luckily she arrived quickly. Debbie brings a sense of confidence and calm to birth that I can't!
Zoe labored for an hour or so in the room. It seemed difficult for Zoe but she was very much in the zone at this point. Liz suggested the bath. There are huge baths in the centre apparently imported from Germany at some ridiculous cost. Nice baths though if you want one. It took a life time to fill (probably actually half an hour). Zoe hopped in and she appeared to immediately relax. I could see it was extremely hard work for Zoe but at no point was I particularly concerned. She seemed to know what to do and Liz just let her do it.
After a little while Liz asked for another midwife to come in and help with the birth. What feels like about an hour later Celeste's head appeared. Then Liz told Zoe to reach down and lift her out of the bath. She came out in the caul and you could hear her trying to breath. Liz quickly took the caul off and she let out a soft little cry. Then to our surprise we found she was a beautiful baby girl. I've never seen such as look of surprise on someone's face as on Zoe's.
Celeste was born at 12:25 on Sunday the 12th July 2015. She was 3.425kg and 50cm long. She was born unnamed but Zoe and I quickly settled on Celeste after a brief chat and conversation with Liz. There were a few symmetries including the that Mars and Venus were aligned at the time. The fact she was born in the water and in the caul also seems to fit the nautical allusions.
Both Zoe and Celeste were well medically and we were able to spend time with Celeste afterwards with minimal interruptions from the hospital.
Elliot, Grandma and Grandpa came to the hospital a few hours later. I was excited for Elliot. I met them outside the room and he was just a bit overwhelmed. The poor kid was a bit bewildered by the whole event.
Celeste, Zoe and I stayed over night in the birth centre and went home the next day.












I love the look on Zo's face, and your face too Tom in that top photo. So much love.
ReplyDeletexoxo